Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Yee ha! Made it to 30!! So my day started out with a very rude surprise- I'd been burglarized!! Thieves do this thing here where they take a stick and poke it through your window and hook whatever is nearby. And I'm the dumbass who left her purse right under the sodding window!! I had been running expensive errands like getting visas and vaccinations and having my laptop fixed, so of course there was $200 in there. Sort of devastating but I was determined not to let it ruin my day. My Cambodian friends will say that it was a good thing that it happened- now only good things will happen for my birthday... crossing my fingers!!

My dear friend Tania made it all better with a spa extravaganza, where I was treated to a lovely day of head to toe oil and aromatherapy massage, steam bath, and jacuzzi filled with fragrant flowers. Amazing!


***************************

So I wrote all that earlier in the day. My day did indeed get better...pretty much... we went to a posh French restaurant where I deliberated over the ethics of ordering crocodile curry, but went with the pork chops on the owner’s recommendation. It’s just about the nicest restaurant in town and for five of us the bill came to $71. Love it. Great meal, great atmosphere, great friends.





We finished our meal and were sitting around picking our teeth with toothpicks when the big finale to my birthday took place—a huge chunk of one of my molars popped out onto the table!! I have no idea what happened! It must have been cracked already and I dislodged it. Apparently thre are a couple of foreign trained dentists here now, so yay. Thank goodness for travel insurance!!




So when you ask me how my 30th birthday in Cambodia was, I’ll say, oh yes it was lovely, except for the robbery and my tooth falling out!

No comments: